Sunday, February 10, 2013

Books that I Don't Like

As I was running today, I was thinking about the books I have been reviewing for this blog. For the most part, they are positive reviews; not many about books I didn't like. So I thought about it, and I realized that either I don't review books I did not like, or I just don't finish reading them. Life is too short to read books that one does not enjoy. This happened to me as I was reading The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston. I got a little over 100 pages into it and I realized that picking up the book felt more like a chore than entertainment. I didn't connect with the characters, I felt the plot was slow and boring, and I really did not enjoy the dialogue. It annoyed me. So I ditched it. Plain and simple. After I came to this realization (most of my realizations and best day dreams happen when I'm running), I decided to post about 5 books that I have read, or started to read, and did not like.
1. Bringing the Summer by Julie Green
I did finish this book because it was short and also because I needed it to complete the book challenge I did (author with the same initials). However, it left so little impression on me that before writing this, I had to go back to look up the characters names AND the title of the book. I could only remember the author's name because we share the same initials. The book is basically about a teenager named Freya and her relationship issues. Her relationship with her friends, boys, family, boy's families, etc. There is some other stuff in there, too, but it's pretty much all relationship based. For me, it was just dull.

2. Emma by Jane Austen
I want to start this by saying I love Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books of all time, and I can't even remember how many times I have read it. I have read most of her books, and the rest (2) are on my to-read-asap list. I even read Lady Susan. I really like Austen. However, I could not finish Emma. No matter how much I tried and how much I wanted it I just could not connect with the characters, plot, or anything. And I tried really hard because, as I said a few sentences ago, I really like Jane Austen. I guess you can't win them all.

3. Watership Down by Richard Adams
I had to read this book in 10th grade and hated it. I got about half way through because I felt that's how far would be enough to pass my test (it wasn't), and then didn't pick it up again. I should also say that I was that nerd in the class who actually read all of the assigned books. I didn't like the bunnies. I didn't like their bunny language. I didn't like their bunny problems. Maybe if they were kittens I would have liked it more? I don't know. The bunnies were not for me. However, since I was such a nerd and my teacher knew I read all of the books, I explained to him that I didn't finish the book because I disliked it THAT MUCH, and he gave me a passing grade on my test anyway. Win.*

4. Waiting by Ha Jin
This was one of those books that I felt was a very well written story, and thought it was a good book. But acknowledging that a book is good is not synonymous with liking it. The story was interesting, and the characters were well developed. It kept me reading, but I didn't like it. Waiting did not make me feel good, I did not feel that I ever wanted to read this book again once I was finished, and boy was it a downer. 

5. Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel
I remember being confused, thinking this was bizarre, weirded out, and at times repulsed while reading Beatrice and Virgil. It was too strange for me, and as a fantasy fan, that's saying something. Yeah, weird. The Life of Pi by Martel, on the other hand, was fantastic!!!**

There you have it: 5 books I didn't like. There are more, but I feel 5 is enough. On another note, while I was running I also imagined Zooey Deschanel*** offering me a job. I often day dream about famous people offering me a job. Or really anyone offering me a job. Sometimes I also imagine famous people running with me. And yes, I do know how nerdy this is. 

*One book I really REALLY enjoyed from 10th grade English class was Bad Haircut by Tom Perrotta, which is a book of short stories. 

**Thanks, Uncle Richard for recommending The Life of Pi to me. It's still one of my favorite books.

***Although today it was Zooey Deschanel -probably because last night I watched several episodes of "The New Girl" and feel like Deschanel appreciates books- the famous person is interchangable. Sometimes its J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, Veronica Roth, J.K. Rowling, Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Any Other Person in the Harry Potter Cast, J.K. Rowling, Faceless Person at NYPL, Faceless Person at SUNY New Paltz, or J.K. Rowling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment