Friday, January 2, 2015

What I Learned From My 2014 Reading Challenge

More than a year later...here's a blog post.

In 2014, I joined the Goodreads Reading Challenge for the third year in a row. My goal was to read 80 books. I read 90.

I read fiction, non-fiction, comics, manga, YA, and adult books. Judging from the number of books and the span of categories I covered, You would think I read everything there was to read. However, that isn't necessarily true. Many of the YA books I read were contemporary or fantasy, as were the adult books. The non-ficton was few and far between. The comics and manga provided the most diversity in genre; I read super hero books, fantasy, contemporary, horror, and a little bit of crime-fantasy-ish (whatever you consider Chew to be). It was not until the end of the year when I started reading award nominees that I reached out and read something outside of my range of normal.

What does this tell me? That I need to set new reading goals in 2015. Not just a number of books, but to make what I read more diverse. So here they are, my 2015 reading goals:
  • Read 1 non-fiction book every month. This can be is prose or graphic novel form.
  • Read a horror book (I don't usually read horror because, well, it scares me).
  • Read at least one comic book/ graphic novel every month
  • Read the pile of Manga in my room that a friend lent me.
  • Read a Goosebumps book. I have never read one!
  • Don't just prick from the 'New' shelf. Read some of the book that are more than a year old, too.
  • Begin re-reading the Harry Potter series. It's my favorite and I have not read it in a while.
  • Complege Goodreads reading challenge of 75 books. Five less than last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment